High-grade Conversion & Utilization of Biomass Energy
The output of crop stalks in China is about 600 million tons per year, of which 50 per cent equaling 290 million tons was used as fuels for cooking and heat supplying in the countryside. The grand plan of firewood saving stoves implemented from early 1980s, not only raised the utilization rate of biomass energy, diminished the shortage of energy in the countryside, but also improved the situation of over-felling of forests, enabled more straws back to the fields, and increased the content of organic matter in the soil and protected the environment as well.
The traditional method of utilization of biomass energy has not already been able to suit the demand, along with the rapid development of rural economy, continuous improvement of the peasants living quality and the increasing attention to the environment.
Since the Seventh five-year Plan, China has carried out extensive research and development on the high-grade conversion plants and application technology of biomass. Significant progress has been achieved in the aspects of gasification, liquefaction and compact forming of biomass. The biomass gasifying plant has already been put into market in small production and used for cooking, wood drying and heat supplying. Technology of fluidized-bed hydrolytic gas for centralized supply is being experimented. At present, there are many research units, factories and companies engaging in development, demonstration, mass production and service of the biomass energy.
Speed up the renewal of the utilization technology of biomass energy; develop high-efficient and direct-burning technology and the technology of compact solid forming, gasification and liquefaction; establish high-efficient industrial production technology and plant. The high-grade utilization volume of biomass energy is planned to reach 2.5 million tons of standard coal by the year 2000, and 17 million tons of standard coal by the year 2010.
1) Biomass gasification technology and system and their demonstration.
· Research and design on gasification technology and equipment, and gas purification technology and equipment.
· Commercialized technology including establishment on technical and inspection standard including for gasification stove, pipe network system and construction and installation.
· Set up research, demonstration, and equipment and production bases.
2) Research and development on thermal cracking technology of biomass.
· Research and development on several kinds of thermal cracking technology, including fluidized-bed thermal cracking system, fixed-bed thermal cracking system and industrial comprehensive thermal cracking system.
· Set up biomass energy conversion plant and demonstration projects of thermal electricity supply system.
· Set up one kiloton or above conversion system and equipment demonstration project of wood energy resources.
3) Demonstration project of biomass gasification power generation.
· Reequip the internal-combustion engine that can be suitable for biomass gas.
Set up demonstration project of megawatt-grade biomass gasification power generating plant.